Military/Overseas Voting

The Uniformed and Overseas Citizens Absentee Voting Act (UOCAVA) allows military and overseas citizens to register and vote absentee. All military and overseas citizens will use The Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) to register to vote and request a Vote-by-Mail ballot. You must be one of the following to register to vote on the FPCA form:

  • A member of the armed services, stationed stateside or overseas
  • A spouse or dependent of a member of the armed forces
  • A citizen of the United States temporarily living outside of the United States
  • A citizen serving on a merchant vessel documented under the laws of the United States

The FPCA forms are available at, any Registrar of Voters office, with the Voting Assistance Officer of any military base, or at any American Consulate office.  You should apply for a Vote-by-Mail ballot in January of each year or at least 90 days before the specific election in which you wish to vote.  The Registrar of Voters office must receive the form no later than 15 days prior to an election or you will not be eligible to vote.

The Federal Post Card Application is also an application for permanent absent voter status; therefore you must notify the office when you have a mailing address change. You can do this by completing another FPCA form, calling our local office at (530) 225-5730, or emailing your new mailing address to .

Your ballot package will be mailed out 45 days prior to the election. If you experience difficulty with mail delivery, or if the Registrar of Voters office did not receive your FPCA form in sufficient time to send you a ballot package, a ballot will be emailed to you upon request.

You may submit your voted ballot by mail, or by fax if there is insufficient time to return it via mail. Since each voters mailing situation is different, it is up to you to know how long you need to return your ballot. The Registrar of Voters office must receive your ballot no later than 8:00pm pacific standard time (local time) on the day of the election for it to be counted. For instructions on returning your voted ballot via fax, please click here: Instructions for Returning Ballot and Oath of Voter .

Citizens Living Permanently Outside the United States

A citizen who is permanently living overseas, and is not in the military, may only vote in federal elections (President, Vice-President, United States Senator or Representative in Congress.)

In order to vote a federal Vote-by-Mail ballot, an eligible United States citizen must carefully and accurately complete a Federal Post Card Application (FPCA), or send a letter of request to the Registrar of Voters in the County where his or her last address of domicile is located. See the Residency Information page or go to for more information.

Click here to download the Federal Post Card Application.

More information about military and overseas voters can be found on the California Secretary of State website.