Voter Registration

Who is Eligible to Vote

Registration for any election closes 15 days before election day. If you moved after this date, you can return to your old polling place for that election. A new Affidavit of Registration must be filled out to correct your address for future elections.

How to Register to Vote

To be eligible to register to vote in Shasta County or anywhere in California, you must be:

  • A United States citizen;
  • A resident of California;
  • At least 18 years old at the time of the next election;
  • and Not in prison or on parole for the conviction of a felony.
  • You have not been judged by a court to be mentally incompetent to register and vote

To register, you must complete and sign an Affidavit of Registration and send it to the elections official of your county or register online. Affidavits are addressed to your elections official, with postage prepaid. You must be registered to vote at least 15 days prior to any election in order to vote in that election. Click here if you are living overseas or are in the active duty military and need to register or apply for an vote-by-mail ballot.

 Secretary of State - Register to Vote  CA Online Registration

Voters Who Have Recently Moved to Shasta County

If you move before voter registration closes and do not re-register, under the provisions of the National Voter Registration Act you may still vote on election day if:

  • You are currently registered to vote in Shasta County, and
  • You have moved within Shasta County

You may vote at your new polling place only after completing a new voter registration card and showing proof of your new residence address. Acceptable forms of proof of residence are:

  • California drivers license or California identification card; or
  • Any two items which show your name and new address, such as a bank statement, utility bill, checkbook, etc; or
  • An affidavit signed by a registered voter that is registered in the precinct.

Voters Who No Longer Reside in Shasta County

Please read the definition of a voting domicile before continuing:

Voting domicile is defined in Elections Code Section 349 as: (a) "Residence" for voting purposes means a person's domicile. (b) The domicile of a person is that place in which his or her habitation is fixed, wherein the person has the intention of remaining, and to which, whenever he or she is absent, the person has the intention of returning. At a given time, a person may have only one domicile. (c) The residence of a person is that place in which the person’s habitation is fixed for some period of time, but wherein he or she does not have the intention of remaining. At a given time, a person may have more than one residence.

If you once resided and were registered to vote in Shasta County and are not currently residing in Shasta County, you need to define what your voting domicile is from the four categories below:

  1. If you are currently living somewhere outside of Shasta County and intend to return at some future time, then you may maintain Shasta County as your voting domicile and continue to vote on state and local issues. Voters serving in the military, living overseas temporarily or part-time, or who travel for business or education are often in this category. For more guidelines please go to
  2. If you are now residing outside the United States and your intent to return is uncertain you may be eligible to become a federal voter. A federal voter is only eligible to vote on the office of President, Vice President, U.S. Senate and Congress. U.S. citizens living permanently abroad are mostly in this category. For more guidelines please go to
  3. If you have moved away from Shasta County and you have not re-established a voting domicile, you may continue to use Shasta County as your voting domicile until a new one is established -- even though you may have no intention of returning. Voters who are students, traveling around the country, or are transient are often in this category.
  4. If you do not intend to return to Shasta County and you live within the United States, you must re-register to vote in your current county residence prior to the next election.

Please choose which category of voter defines you on the Federal Post Card Application (FPCA) and your voter registration will be processed accordingly. For further information or to download and print the FPCA forms, go to the FVAP website at:

Note: Voters who vote absentee, or at the polls, are required to provide the address where they live/lived in Shasta County and will be signing under penalty of perjury that the information is correct.